To install and use the Epson Perfection 2480 scanner under Mandriva:
1) install "sane" (in package manager, install "libsane", "sane-backends" and perhaps "sane-frontends").
2) login as root, go to /etc/sane.d/ and edit the file "dll.conf" and ensure the line "snapscan" is uncommented (without a # at the beginning of the line).
3) from the CD supplied with the scanner, find the file "ESCAN/ModUsd.cab" and copy to your desktop (or elsewhere!).
4) go to the directory on your hard drive containing "ModUsd.cab" and run
$ cabextract ModUsd.cab
cabextract is a program to extract files from a micro$oft .cab format, which I have described in a previous post.
5) login as root and copy the firmware file "Esfw41.bin" to /etc/sane.d/esfw41.bin
6) run the following (as root):
$ scanimage -L
...and the scanner should be detected!
7) use "Kooka" or "Xscanimage" to use scanner (Xscanimage is from the package "sane-frontends")